ROAD TO MENTAL HEALTH

I've written about my struggles with depression, social anxiety, PTSD, and agoraphobia on this blog before.

Due to the fact that I have an appointment this Friday with a new psychiatrist, I thought I'd make another post regarding mental health and why it's so important.

In our society, mental illness is still considered a taboo. There's still a stigma around it, and most people don't understand. They're quick to call you "lazy" or "over-emotional" if you're depressed; "too shy" and "too sensitive" if you have social anxiety; and "dramatic" and "pessimistic" if you suffer from PTSD.

I know because I've been called all of those things.

Mental illness isn't something you can just "get over". It's not going to go away - at least not on its own. It's like an unwanted visitor, and the more you try to ignore it, the louder it screams.

I call my journey "The Road to Mental Health" because it is a road - one that is long, difficult, and winding. Just when you think you've made it to your destination, the road takes you down a different path, one that's dark, uncertain, and less traveled.

You're not weak or broken if you suffer from a mental disease. You can't help it - and it's certainly not your fault. You don't have to struggle alone, though - there is help out there, even if it's hard to find. Not every doctor and therapist has your best interests at heart, so it's important to find one that really cares and connects with you.

Why is mental health awareness and help so important, you ask?

Because it's killing us - good people that don't deserve to suffer. Mental illness is relentless and ruthless, and it's hard enough to live with it without people judging and doubting it's real.

I wrote a haiku about depression the other day:

Smiling and laughing
Does not mean one is happy.
Looks are deceiving.

My haiku speaks the truth - laughter does not indicate happiness. Most people with mental illness hide their symptoms, masking it in fear of being misunderstood. I've done it, too - crying myself to sleep so my family wouldn't hear and say something insensitive. It isn't right, and I'm tired of people not listening and not understanding.

My road to mental health is not going to be an easy one. I'm going to have to try my best and work hard for my recovery, but it will be worth it in the end because life is worth it.

People without mental illness should at least try to learn and understand, but if they can't, it isn't my job to teach them. It's my job to recover and take care of myself. Self-care is so important and necessary to live a good, mentally healthy life.


I channel a lot of my negative emotions into my writing, because writing is the one place I feel truly free. I'm grateful to have an outlet, but not everyone does. Relief is a timid beast, and it's not always easy to find.

If you're suffering with a mental illness, I wish you all the best. May you find the courage and the strength to fight your demons and win. 

I know I'm going to try.

Sincerely,

Dana



Comments

Popular Posts