4 Books That Changed My Life

I've been thinking a lot lately about books and the impact they have on us and our society.

Books are so powerful. They have the ability to change lives, inspire and encourage, and open the door to new possibilities and ideas. Not to mention they're entertaining and have the power to enthrall you while you read them.

In the spirit of great books, I thought I'd write a list about four of them that changed my life. I've read hundreds of books in my lifetime, but these stand out the most for me.

1. 1984 by George Orwell
This is a novel I've read multiple times. How could I not? It's such a classic, and it's a real possibility of our future if our society isn't careful enough. It's labeled as being a dystopian novel, but I think it has some elements of science fiction and horror, too. With themes of forbidden love and totalitarianism, it changed how I see the government and society as a whole. Especially now with the whole "fake news" debacle, 1984 is just as relevant today as it was in 1948 when it was written. How much freedom do we have? Or rather, how much freedom do we think we have?

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

2. Dune by Frank Herbert
Another classic, Dune is one of the most iconic science fiction novels ever. Like 1984, it deals with large concepts and big ideas - politics, religion, and the control of a society. The Empire is so hellbent on mining Spice - also known as melange - that they don't care they're destroying Arrakis and invading someone else's home. It's changed how I see environmentalism, but also cultures, too.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."

3. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter is a big deal. Everyone - from kids to adults - enjoy reading it and watching the films. Why? It's easy to see. Sure, it's interesting - with elements of magic, mystery, and intrigue - but it also has larger themes of friendship, overcoming your fears, and doing the right thing. It changed how I write fantasy, and it was the first series I remember reading obsessively.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I always considered myself a big fan of dystopia, but the themes could become tedious and repetitive. Then I read The Hunger Games and was blown away. It was imaginative and frightening, and I read every page on the edge of my seat. Like 1984, it also had themes of totalitarianism and politics. It changed my life because I realized anyone can make a difference - anyone can stand up and demand change.

"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear."

What are your favorite books? Have they changed the way you see fiction?

If you're a writer, what books have had the biggest impact on your life and your storytelling?

Sincerely,

Dana Gricken




Comments

Popular Posts