A Tribute to My Cats

Pets make our lives wonderful when they're here, and miserable when they're gone.

Two days ago, on Friday June 29th, I had to say goodbye to a wonderful friend: my pet cat, Jackie (Jack for short.)

Jack was only eleven months old. She stopped eating a week ago, so I rushed her to the vet. They ran many tests and discovered that she had a mix of FIV (feline AIDS), jaundice, and liver damage. She was born very small and fragile, and had a low immune system. I adopted her because I was worried she wouldn't find a good home.

After the vets tried everything to save her - including force feeding her - she still wouldn't eat. She was most likely born with these diseases, and it slowly ate away at her. She had given up and wanted to die.

It was her time to pass on, but I still can't believe it.

Words can't express how heartbroken I am. I am an HSP (highly sensitive person), so grief and loss affect me incredibly hard. It feels like there's a giant weight on my chest and it's difficult to breathe.

Unfortunately, this is a pain I know all too well.

On August 2nd, 2017, my beloved cat of 13 years passed away. Buddy was my whole world, sun, and stars. He was my childhood pet, and comforted me through school bullying, depression, a break-up, and so much more. I would've given anything to save him (and Jack), but there was nothing I could do.


I still have two cats - 16-year-old Becky (who will be 17 this August!) and Whitey, who is also eleven months (and Jack's brother). Obviously, Becky is the prime contender to be the next to die, and I know I will be a wreck when it happens. I'm trying to enjoy my time with her as much as possible.

I adopted Becky, Whitey, and Jack last year in August and September to deal with the heartache of losing Buddy. With Jack, I guess the universe had other plans. I don't understand why terrible things happen - especially to innocent, sweet creatures like Jack and Buddy - but maybe I'm not supposed to.

Maybe life is all about learning to enjoy the moment and milk every second of it.

Here is Jack, before her disease kicked in:



And Buddy, years before he too faced illness:



This is Whitey, one of my current cats, who is SO affectionate and loving:



And of course Miss Becky, who is a gentle old lady (but sometimes has an attitude):



Whitey was very close with Jack (as you can see by the picture), so I'm going to be spending a lot of time with him to help him grieve his precious sister.



This post is in honor of Buddy and Jack, other pets who have passed on, and the humans that miss them greatly.

I only take comfort in knowing that my cats live on in me. They will give me strength during difficult times in my life. And when it is my time to die, I hope that they are the first (furry) faces I see.

Rest in peace, beautiful Jack and handsome Buddy. I'll love you forever and ever.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

Comments

  1. I'm sorry about your cats. Losing pets is real hard . I think you really said it all: pets are so loveable and they enrich us in all sorts of ways. Your cats all look very cute and sweet. Hope you have a nice day! :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dalriana! My cats appreciate the compliments, haha. Have a great day too! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts