All about middle grade writing

Hello and Happy February!

The first month of 2019 flew by, didn't it?

In a few days, after I finish writing my current novel, I will be beginning a middle grade book.

It's actually my second one. The first one I ever wrote and finished was called THE GIFT GIVER, a middle grade mystery. I'm currently seeking representation for it.

My next middle grade novel is called ELLATHINA. (It's the main character's name, pronounced Ella/theena.) It involves monsters, magic curses, and coming to terms with being different from others.

I'm so excited. I only realized it a few months ago while I was working on THE GIFT GIVER, but I ADORE middle grade. Why? I'm going to tell you.

First of all, what is middle grade?

Well, it's fiction directed at kids between the ages of 9 and 12. It falls in between picture books (toddlers and younger kids) and young adult fiction (13+). But really, anyone can enjoy middle grade - even adults. I'm 20, and I just recently started getting into it!

Harry Potter and Percy Jackson would be considered middle grade. While it mostly runs from 30,000 words to 50,000, sometimes (like the Harry Potter novels) it can go much higher. If you're a new middle grade author, however, I wouldn't recommend going above 50k. You'd be hard-pressed to find a literary agent looking to take a risk on such a long manuscript.

It has all of your typical genres in it, too - mystery, science fiction, fantasy, and much more. It doesn't deal with dark themes - you won't find a Game of Thrones style middle grade novel - but it does deal with common human experiences such as love, grief, acceptance, and friendship.

Sounds beautiful, right? It really is.

There are many reasons why I love writing middle grade. It's probably one of my favorite genres. Here are three reasons:

1. Middle grade novels are so fun and inventive.
Kids have the best imaginations. They believe in magic, dragons, and other worlds so easily! I find that they really get into the books, even more so than adults. Best of all, you're inspiring a new generation of readers!

2. It's light and playful (though, that doesn't mean it can't have strong, impactful messages).

Most middle grade novels have wonderful messages of love and respect. They usually result in happy endings, which are always nice to see!

3. It's not as laborious.
As I mentioned above, most middle grade novels run from 30k to 50k. It's a lot less stressful to plan and write a middle grade novel! The most I've ever written was 90k in a book before, and that was young adult fantasy. It was a wonderful experience, but it was a lot of work and anxiety!

If you're planning on writing a middle grade novel, I have some advice.

1. Don't talk down to kids.
Seriously, it's annoying. Kids aren't idiots. They have emotions, hopes, and fears. Treat them like regular human beings. That being said...

2. Don't force a moral message.
It's great if your book has a wonderful meaning to it, but don't force it down the reader's throat. They should come to their own conclusions!

3. Remember what it was like to be a kid.
Think back. What were your interests as a kid? Spaceships, dragons, ponies? Childhood was a time of exploration and excitement. Everything was an adventure - at least, for me. In fact, part of being a great writer is not losing the childlike fascination you had about everything. 

To sum up, middle grade books are exciting, adventurous, and inspiring. Best of all, it makes you feel like a kid again.

Who wouldn't want that?

Have you read any middle grade novels? What did you like and dislike about them? Do you have any recommendations?

My recommendations are...

City of Ghosts by V.E. Schwab, Coraline by Neil Gaiman, and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. They were wonderful reads! I'm looking forward to reading more.

As always, thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Dana




Comments

Popular Posts