On Writer's Block

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, Writer's Block is a bit of a hot topic in the writing community.

Writer's Block.

Some believe in it and some don't, but I still think it's important to talk about.

It even has its own Wikipedia page, which I will be referencing in this post: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writer%27s_block

First of all, what is Writer's Block?

Wikipedia defines it as this:

"Writer's block is a condition, primarily associated with writing, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work, or experiences a creative slowdown. The condition ranges from difficulty in coming up with original ideas to being unable to produce a work for years. Throughout history, writer's block has been a documented problem."

The article even claims famous writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Herman Melville, Joseph Mitchell, and more suffered from it.

If famous, successful writers have acknowledged its existence and struggled with it, that must prove it's real...right?

Well, yes and no. 

Today, I'd like to share some on my feelings on the case of Writer's Block - and how you can overcome it if you believe it's consumed you.

In my personal opinion, I do believe Writer's Block is real...but it's only psychosomatic. What do I mean by this?

Well, put simply, it's all in your head.

The mind is powerful - and the most complex organ we have. What we think, we create. Often times, I believe Writer's Block is caused by stress and overthinking.

Writing is a difficult task, and it can seem daunting to many - new and old writers alike. There are so many things you have to worry about when writing a story, especially something as long as a novel - such as:

Interesting characters...
Fascinating worlds and cities...
Believable dialogue...
A satisfying ending...
Avoiding contradictions...
Using the correct words...


The list goes on. I think a lot of writers get caught up in the stress of it - wondering if they're writing 'correctly', if it will make sense, if readers will like it, if literary agents will want to represent it, and so on.

SO. MUCH. STRESS.


I've experienced Writer's Block only once in my life, and it came when I was writing the third book in The Dragonwitch Chronicles. I was half-finished writing the novel when it hit a road-block - one created by my pattern of thinking.

I was highly emotional - worried that the story wasn't making sense, I was a screw-up, everyone would hate it...

These emotions took control of me and prevented me from writing. I was afraid - and fear and self-doubt are your enemies.

Leave stress behind. Forget about what you think you *should* be writing and just write. Resist the urge to edit until the book is finished, too.

Yes, writing is difficult - it really is a full-time job - but it should also be fun.

I find that when you focus on the story and leave your obligations and worry behind, Writer's Block leaves, too. It isn't easy to overcome, but I'd like to share some tips for dealing with it:


1. Take a Break
Seriously, walk away from the story. Do anything else - go for a walk, watch some TV, read some books, cook a good meal...it doesn't matter. When you stop forcing yourself to work, the book will write itself.

2. Have a Brainstorming Session
Forget about writing the next chapter for a bit. Just grab a blank piece of paper and a pen, and write down everything you can think about regarding your story's topic. Some of your ideas might be bad, while others will surprise you. You never know what you can think up when you stop putting pressure on yourself!

3. Start Small
Write one sentence, and then another, and then another. Don't put limits on yourself or expectations. Just take it slow, and remember to breathe.

4. Work on Something Else
Maybe you just need some time away from your current project. Try something else - a short story, for instance. It could get the creative juices flowing again.

When I'm away from my writing for a short period of time, that's when my best ideas hit, so don't be afraid to take some time off.

All in all, Writer's Block can be a pain - but you can overcome it if you block out your negative emotions and focus on the positive aspects of writing.

Happy Writing! I wish you all the best!

Sincerely,

Dana 

 




Comments

Popular Posts