Writing Resources I Love

Now that my book is in the editing stage, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite writing resources.

These resources are incredibly helpful for weeding out spelling errors and passive voice, and they also helped me land a publishing house.

If you're trying to become a better writer, I highly recommend them all.

Here are six of my favorite writing resources:

1. Grammarly
I use Grammarly every single day. Seriously, it's invaluable. It can point out grammar errors, spelling errors, inconsistencies, and more. I use the free version, but the paid version actually gives you suggestions on how to improve sentence structure, grammar, etc. It's like a computer writing buddy.

I've never tried it, but it might be worth a test run.

2. Hemingway Editor
Hemingway Editor works in the same Grammarly does - to show your writing errors. But I especially love it because it singles out passive voice, which Grammarly doesn't. (Many literary agents detest passive voice, and it can be difficult to learn the difference between it and the preferred active voice.)

Like Grammarly, it doesn't make suggestions on how to improve your sentences, but it does have an upgrade feature for $19.99 a month. (I've never tried it, but this could also be a worthy investment!)

3. Thesaurus.com
Sometimes, using the same word over and over again can get boring. What if you need a synonym, but can't think of one?

Thesaurus to the rescue! I use the online version, which finds DOZENS of similar words to help your writing. Why use 'ran' when you could use 'sprinted'?

4. Google
Okay, this one is obvious, but I use Google so much that it should be mentioned. I use it a lot for research and dumb questions I have on a daily basis.

Every writer needs a good, reliable search engine! (Plus, the Doodles are fun to look at it.)

5. Wikipedia
Like Google, I use Wikipedia a lot for research. If my character is cooking, stabbing someone, or playing the harp, I want to know the ins and outs of it.

But be warned, though: Wikipedia is a public website, and anyone can access it. Not all information is entirely correct, so sometimes it's best to buy a book on the subject that was written by a professional in your chosen field.

Which brings me to my next resource...

6. The Library/Bookstore
When the Internet fails, books never will. I've bought countless help books on writing. Some of my favorites include On Writing by Stephen King, The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier, and Screenwriting for Dummies by John Logan.

(If you have any good writing book suggestions, please let me know! I'm always up to improve my craft.)

There you have it - six valuable writing resources. These come in handy if you're a beginner writer and you can't afford an editor. (I get it - they can be pretty pricey. A friend of mine spent $1500 on an editor for ONE book!)

But what is the most valuable resource of all?

Writing. To find what works and what doesn't, you just need to write. It's a better teacher than anything else on this list.

What writing resources do you use? I'd love to know!

As always, thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Dana

 


Comments

Popular Posts