6 Things People Get Wrong About Mental Illness

I haven't written a blog post on mental illness in a long time. I need to change that.

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. For all the research and knowledge we've gained on mental illness, ignorance and misinformation still circulate.

As someone who struggles with social anxiety, depression, panic attacks, PTSD, OCD, and agoraphobia (a fear of leaving my house), I can only speak on my behalf. (And yes, I've been diagnosed by multiple psychiatrists.)

I call my depression 'The Darkness'. It feels like there's this dark shadow following me around, whispering cruel things in my ears: telling me to kill myself, I'm not good enough, I deserve to be unhappy...you get the picture.

Anxiety feels like this: sweating, trembling hands, racing heart, hundreds of thoughts swirling in your mind, feeling trapped and claustrophobic, feeling like you're going to die, nausea and indigestion...again, the list goes on. It's almost like you're in the wilderness, being chased by an eight-foot bear. Terrifying? You bet.

(Note: these symptoms are just what *I* experience. Other people may feel differently.)

I'd like to share 6 things people usually get wrong about mental illness.

1. Mental Illness Is Noticeable
I had a psychiatrist tell me, "you don't look like you have anxiety". I HATE this way of thinking.

Mental illness is INVISIBLE. Of course you're not going to see it. Someone may look composed on the outside, but could be having a bad panic attack on the inside. Be kind to everyone you meet.

2. All Depression, Anxiety, etc. Is The Same
It bothers me when doctors and psychiatrists read from their textbooks, because it tells them you have to have ALL these symptoms in order to have depression, anxiety, or other mental illnesses.

Everyone suffers differently. I have terrible panic attacks, but someone else with anxiety might not have them. Maybe they'll tremble and sweat, I don't know. We need to remember that no two people are alike, and we all react differently.

3. People Who Commit Suicide Are Selfish
I hate this one, too. Shortly after Robin Williams committed suicide, a news reporter on TV called him "selfish".

People who commit suicide aren't selfish, they're desperate. They've probably been struggling for a long time - longer than you might think. They see suicide as a last resort, one that will make the pain go away. They are clouded by their suffering - almost like they're under the influence of a powerful narcotic.

4. People With Mental Illness Are Broken
I've gotten this a few times. People think I'm so broken that I'm not worth befriending. Like, "I don't want to talk to her. She's crazy." (I also hate the word 'crazy'.)

People with mental illness are suffering, but they're usually not dangerous or violent. Treat us like everybody else. We're human, too - we want love, friendship, and compassion.

5. Medication Will Make It Better
This is a big one for me because I don't take medication. It never agreed with me. It either made me sleepy or completely unlike myself.

Medication for mental illness CAN help. If you want to try it, don't let me stop you. But I hate that every psychiatrist I go to see throw pills at me. I want other forms of therapy and coping resources. Medication isn't a miracle cure, and it can't fix everything.

6. Mental Illness Can Be Cured
Again, this one is my opinion. Some people think mental illness can be cured. I've had depression and anxiety for ten years (maybe even longer before it was diagnosed.)  I've tried medication, therapy, meditation...you name it. My grandmother has had anxiety for more than 30 years!

I don't think it can be cured. I also think it's dangerous to perpetuate that lie, because some people might think they're "broken" if they can't be freed of it. Mental illness can't be cured, but it CAN be managed with the right therapy.

Bottom line?

Forget everything you know about mental illness. It's probably wrong.

If someone in your life is struggling with mental illness, just listen to them. Don't judge, don't doubt, and don't condescend. Listening is how we'll break the stigma - and it's how we'll save lives.

Some days are good days, and some days are bad. I try to focus on the good days instead. I'm grateful for some, at least.


As always, thanks for reading! May you have wonderful mental health this year and all the years to come.

Sincerely,

Dana

Comments

Popular Posts