On Bad Reviews

Let's talk about something uncomfortable for writers...

BAD REVIEWS. Man, they suck.

I remember when someone left a 2 star review for my debut novel on Goodreads (just the star review, no words.) I wasn't angry, but I was upset/sad. I started to wonder if my writing really was terrible, as if their opinion was gold.

I know how much it hurts, and how much anxiety it gives me to see a bad review.

I said to myself, "How could they do this? Don't they know how hard I worked on the book? Can I change their minds?"

In short, no, you can't change their minds. The terrible truth is that some people - probably a lot - won't like your ideas or your style of writing.

But that's okay. You're not writing for EVERY single person on Earth.

You should write for yourself, first and foremost. Anyone else who likes your writing is just a bonus.

Yes, we all want rave reviews and endorsements. But it's just not feasible or realistic, especially when you take into consideration that people have different tastes.

It might not be your book. It could be that they don't like the genre. You never know.

But you must learn how to deal with it in a healthy way, one that doesn't involve anger, sadness, or the consideration of giving up writing forever and burning your manuscripts.

I won't name the writer, but I heard that a horror novelist recently attacked a reviewer for giving their book one star. They sent them a long email berating them and bragging about their qualifications. Basically, they touted that their book was fantastic and an instant classic.

DON'T DO THIS. While tempting, it proves three things:

1. You're a jerk who doesn't respect people.
2. You can't take criticism (even if healthy and constructive).
3. You don't support free speech/honest opinions.

And it will do long-term damage to your reputation and career. What agent wants to represent someone who loses their mind over one review? What reader or publishing house, either?

No one, that's who.

So, if you've received a one-star review, take a moment to breathe. Go for a walk in nature. Cook a good meal. Punch a pillow if you need to or have a good cry.

But remember that some people will hate your work and some people will love it.

As long as you're satisfied with it, that's all that matters.

Stay kind to one another!

Sincerely,

Dana

Comments

Popular Posts