A Quick Thank You

This post is just a quick thank you for the love, support, and sweet messages I received since posting about my struggles with mental illness.

You all put a smile on my face! From the bottom of my very heart, THANK YOU.

Supporting people is how we'll break the stigma around mental illness. Most importantly, it's how we'll save lives.

I live in Canada where mental health awareness is terrible. With long waiting lists, expensive therapy and treatments, and a lack of accessible mental services, I realize we still have a long way to go. (My experience with psychologists and psychiatrists has been very disappointing.)


In the past, I've stayed quiet because I've feared no one will believe me, or they'll call me over-dramatic, an attention-seeker, etc.

You've shown me that attitudes toward mental illness are changing and becoming more accepting. 

Over 800,000 people commit suicide every year, which is equal to one person every 40 seconds. This is a global issue. When I'm finished writing this blog post, another life will be lost.

This is sobering and unacceptable. Every country and every government must do better to protect and help people in need.


If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via Twitter, Instagram, or this blog. I'm not a professional, but I know what it's like to have depression, anxiety, OCD, agoraphobia, and suicidal thoughts.

I can't promise to fix you, but I do promise to listen. 

If you are feeling very suicidal, please call 9-1-1 (or whatever version of emergency you have in your country.)

If you'd like some resources/information on mental health, the Canadian Mental Health Association website is a great tool. (Its information on mental illness is universal, so don't worry if you're not Canadian.)

The link is here: https://cmha.ca/

Remember: "Every day might not be easy, but every day is worth it." 

Wishing you the best with your mental health!

Sincerely,

Dana

Comments

Popular Posts