Why The Novella Should Make A Come-Back

Decades ago, novellas were all the rage.

Animal Farm. A Clockwork Orange. Of Mice and Men. The War of the Worlds. I Am Legend. The Old Man and the Sea. The Time Machine.

And so many, many more...

Then they just died off.

Many literary agents - if not most - don't want to represent them. They want a full-length novel, usually 70,000 words and up, or nothing at all. And since novellas are usually 15k to 40k, they don't even come close.

I have to wonder: what's with all the bias against novellas? Just because it isn't as long or sophisticated as a novel doesn't mean it can't change the world. It doesn't mean it can't explore big ideas or complex character arcs, either.

Novellas are perfect, especially in our day and age. With modern technology, people have short attention spans. They want fast, interesting plots. They have no time for boring, meandering stories. The novella can be read during the weekend or a short trip, keeping the reader entertained without feeling bogged down. And I love short stories myself, but sometimes I want a little more - but not quite a full-length novel, either.

It's less stress for the writer, too. Shaving off 40 to 50 thousand words is a lot less demanding and requires less outlining.

Perhaps I'm a little biased myself. Ever since I finished my science fiction novella, DRIFTING DARKLY, back in July, I've been hooked, reading novellas non-stop. And it took me only 20 days to write it, which was a big bonus.

If done right, the novella can be an engaging short read without sacrificing plot or character.

But I get it. Novellas operate in this strange grey area, somewhere between a short story and a full-length novel. No one really knows what to make of them. But I think we should give them another chance.

And they've been making their comeback, whether people like it or not.

Binti. Murderbot. River of Teeth. The Emperor's Soul. All these novellas - and more - have made literary waves.

And it's not as if they aren't as respected in the award world. Some of the major book awards, like Hugo, Nebula, Locus, and British Fantasy all recognize novellas and give awards to them.

I'd encourage any reader to seek out novellas more often, for the exciting, brisk ride. And for writers, you'll learn a lot about fast pacing. The novella can be the perfect first project, especially if you're a little apprehensive about writing a full novel.

And with that, I'll be planning more novellas for the year and beyond.

They're just awesome. Read a few and I think you'll agree.

Sincerely,

Dana






Comments

Popular Posts