Hard Lessons

Today, I wanted to talk about something serious and uncomfortable...

Plagiarism.

Right off the bat, I think it's disgusting and I'd never do it. I pride myself in knowing that my ideas are unique and original to me. (To my knowledge, of course. I haven't read every book or seen every film/TV show on the face of the planet.)

If I think an idea is even remotely close to something else, I scrap it and move on to a new project.

Recently, I uploaded my YA horror novel, WHAT SHE DESIRES, to the SwoonReads website. I did this to let other people read it and give their constructive feedback. SwoonReads is owned by a big, traditional publishing house called Macmillian, and if you get enough votes and good reviews, they'll consider publishing your novel.

I thought WHAT SHE DESIRES was unique and original. I thought it had a catchy hook, and it was why I wrote it. Other writers I'd shared the idea with in the past thought so, too, and cheered me on.

The first review from the website was incredible. The person said they loved it, read it in two days, and couldn't wait to read more from me. I was on cloud nine when I read this. The next person pointed out small errors but said they enjoyed it anyway and found it interesting. I appreciated both of their opinions.

The next person shouted in the comments that my novel was similar to another one and that I had "ripped it off". I had never heard of the novel in question. When I looked it up to see if it was true, that novel had vampires in it -- mine has demons and is quite different, though I can see the small similarities.

I just want to set the record straight and say that I did not plagiarize my novel. I knew nothing of the one that's similar -- I'd never even heard about it before, and wouldn't have if this reader hadn't pointed it out. I find it hurtful that someone would suggest such a thing. I ended up doubting myself and worrying if my other ideas were rip-offs.

If I knew it would draw comparisons from another writer's novel, I wouldn't have written it nor made it public.

I know being a writer means growing a thick skin, especially in the face of criticism and bad reviews, but I can't help it. I'm a sensitive person. And I think having strong emotions helps me be a better writer and get into the minds of my characters more effectively.

I'm not angry at the person that made this claim -- not at all. I just wanted to be clear and tell my side of the story (no pun intended.)

But I'm a strong person and I can overcome what people say about me. Everyone is entitled to free speech and their own opinion, and I hold those values dear to my heart. (And there are some novels I think are bad or rip-offs, too.)

Anyway, I think I'll leave my novel up on the website. I enjoyed writing it and I want others to read it. I believe stories should be shared, and I invite you to read it during the six month period that it's on the website.

The hard lesson I've learned is that I won't be reading reviews anymore for my books -- good or bad. It's just too difficult on me. I've heard many famous writers avoid negative reviews for that same reason. Art is subjective and not everyone will like your work. Some will even draw comparisons and claim you stole it -- even if you know in your heart that you didn't and wouldn't.

Thanks for reading my little explanation. I'll still be writing and trying to get my work published, but in the meantime, I'll be stepping away from reviews -- unless they're from a literary agent, my editor, or my publishing company. I hope my readers can understand why.

Some ideas are very similar to others, and some people think alike. (It's what they say about 'great mind'.) That's just the way it is. It's kind of like Stephen King's UNDER THE DOME which has a similar premise to The Simpson's Movie. He said he'd never seen it, but if he had, he wouldn't have written his novel. 

I'm going to focus on why I love writing -- for the freedom, the thrill, the power. I'll be continuing my novel for NaNoWriMo and moving on.

You live and you learn.

Sincerely,

Dana



Comments

Popular Posts