The Importance of Habit For Writers

Hi everyone!

This is my second-last post of 2019. The new decade is almost upon us!

Today, I wanted to talk about something important...

HABIT. And, more specifically, why writers need to develop it.

I watched an interview Neil Gaiman gave a long time ago. I can't remember which one it was (I'm pretty sure he was interviewed by a radio host, but it was a video.) But he basically said something similar to this:

Don't wait for inspiration. That only works for poets. Novelists need good habits.

(That isn't verbatim, but it's the gist of it.)

Stephen King said the same kind of thing. "Amateurs wait for inspiration. The rest of us just get up and go to work."

And he's right! Inspiration strikes so fleetingly. If you're a songwriter, poet, or short story writer, it might work for you. But writing a full-length novel takes time.

Not just days, but MONTHS. It's the lengthiest form of writing there is. And there will be days when you just don't feel like writing. You might even procrastinate and make excuses.

I feel like that all the time. But I still force myself to sit at my computer and write another chapter. Why?

Because it boils down to habit. I have a very set routine -- I write my novel in the morning. I like to write a chapter a day because that's what I'm comfortable with -- and that's my habit.

They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit. That's not very long -- less than a month! If you set a writing goal at the same time every day, it'll become routine. And routine leads to habit. 

If you continue to follow it, not writing will become very strange to you. It gets easier as time goes by. In fact, sometimes I even feel guilty on mornings when I have to miss writing for an appointment or something.

Life gets in the way sometimes. I know that. But trying to stick to a routine -- even just a small 20 minute writing session -- will go a long way.

So how do you set a habit? I'll tell you:

-Choose the same time every day. Make sure it works for you - i.e: not distracted by work, chores, or family members.

-Tell everyone about it. Ask them not to talk to you/bother you during this time. Declare it on social media if you need to. Scream it from the rooftops! Don't be ashamed. Writers need time and space to work.

-Pick a space. I write in my bedroom because that's where my computer is located. I always close the door, too. You could even put up a sign that says "WRITER AT WORK" or something like that. Something that makes your space feel like a writer's.

-Set a goal. Whether it's a hundred words or a thousand, make sure you can achieve it. (Don't have goals that are too hard/unrealistic to reach in the beginning. If you miss them, you'll feel really discouraged.)

-Challenge yourself. Write for 20 minutes straight. Write everything that spews out and edit it later.

-Eliminate distractions. No phones, people, social media, Internet, or television. Just you and your story will suffice.

Forming good habits is important in every facet of life, but especially as a novelist. It's difficult, but not impossible.

Remember: writing is hard work. And sometimes, that hard work can feel exhausting. But good habits will help in the long run.

Here's to good habits and storytelling!

Sincerely,

Dana




Comments

Popular Posts