2020 Goals and Resolutions!

Welcome to 2020! I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's.

As I did last year, I'd like to share my goals and resolutions for 2020. Writing them down can be very helpful, and I find I'm more willing to stick to them if they're on paper (or on screen, in this case.) Let's begin!

Goal 1. Find a Literary Agent

Of course, this is always high on my goals/resolution list. Finding a literary agent who can champion my work would be a dream come true. I actually have good news on this front -- I have a phone call with an agent next week! She's interested in my YA mystery novel. I'm very excited! I've never gotten this far with an agent before. What a way to start off 2020!

Goal 2. Start My Podcast

In 2020, I plan to start a short story podcast called TERRIFYING TALES. It will be written and narrated by me. The stories will be science fiction, horror, and fantasy, with a flair for plot twists. It's inspired by Star Trek and The Twilight Zone, two of my favorite shows. I've already written ten short stories for it, and my parents bought me a microphone for Christmas. I plan to read out the stories to background music and add in special effects. It'll be uploaded to Youtube and Apple Podcasts, and I'll post on social media when it's ready. 

Goal 3. Find Artists For My Comic Books

I wrote two comic books last year -- one about a half-human half-demon anti-hero from Hell and another about a zombie detective. I'd like to find an artist to draw them. I've written 12 issues in total -- six for each. I plan to look on UpWork for artists, especially local ones. There's also an art program at a college close by, so maybe I'll go there and put up flyers or something. I'm terrible at drawing, so I'm hoping to find a partner who can provide the art portion of it. I also plan to keep going with my comic books and write new stories.

Goal 4. Continue Writing My Novels

I've written 16 novels in total and I'm working on my 17th, EARTH'S CHAMPION. I want to write at least ten novels this year. I plan to focus on young adult and middle grade fiction but I also have this idea for an adult fantasy series about vampires that's been hounding me. I have so many ideas I'm excited to begin this year. Bring it on!


Goal 5. Write More Screenplays

Last year, I wrote my first screenplay called PHOBIA, which featured a serial killer and people's biggest fears. I plan to write more this year -- starting with THE PRINCESS KNIGHT. Princess Lena wants to be a warrior, but her parents forbid it because of her royal duties. When her traitorous Uncle murders her family to steal the crown, Lena survives and plans her revenge.


Goal 6. Write A Web Series

I have an idea for a web series called DARK STARS. It'll be an episodic series that takes place in outer space with a mercenary as the main character. Each episode will be twelve minutes long. Once I'm finished, I'll look into either filming it myself in my hometown on a low budget (I do want to be a filmmaker) or finding a company online to help with funding and production. I plan to upload it to YouTube. (If you're into watching YouTube shows, check out WEIRD CITY or DEEP SPACE 69. They're both very strange and hilarious.)

Goal 7. Focus On Me More

In 2020, I want to make self-care a priority. I want to find things that can help my anxiety and depression and stop being so hard on myself. It's definitely easier said than done, but I'm willing to try. Mental health is so important. If you're suffering, please seek out help.

Goal 8. Start Volunteering At A Film Co-Op

As I mentioned above, I want to be a filmmaker. Instead of spending money on a fancy film school, I figured I'd volunteer and learn the ropes that way (and save my money). There's an awesome film co-op group downtown in my city. They offer filmmaking workshops and volunteering opportunities. Networking is important as a filmmaker, so I think I should start there. There are a few TV shows and Lifetime/Hallmark movies filmed in Ottawa from time to time, so I hope I can get involved somehow.

Goal 9. Write a Musical

An idea for a musical has been bothering me these past few months. I've written a few songs for it already. Theater is really popular in my hometown, so maybe I can find a local director and stage actors. It can take years for musicals to come together, but I at least want to get started. 

So there you have it -- my nine goals for 2020, eight professional and one personal. Happy New Year's Day! I hope all your resolutions come true in 2020.

Sincerely,

Dana 




Comments

Popular Posts