How To Know if a Story Idea is Good

Hi there!

Today, I wanted to talk about something all writers have faced...

Trying to tell if a story idea is good/worth telling. 

I have an overactive mind, so I'm always thinking. My brain's constantly coming up with new ideas, but not all of them are good. In fact, most are downright terrible. (But I never share those with anybody. Too embarrassing!)

Time is valuable for a writer (especially if you have a full-time job, kids, and a family to look after.) You can't waste your time on bad ideas and let the good ones slip away -- or worse, another writer thinks of your good idea and writes it faster than you can. (That one hurts.)

Writing a novel takes time, and you want to be dedicated to the idea and confident in it. It's a deeply personal experience. You don't want to get to the finish line and go, "oh, this really sucks. Why couldn't I see that sooner?"

I read the average time it takes for a novel to be written is 3 to 5 years. That's longer than it takes me, but I completely understand why it can take so long. It's a big commitment!

So, today's blog topic will be tackling that difficult question: how do I know if my story idea is a good one? Let's explore it:

1. You Can Explain It Easily
A logline is something a screenwriter uses to sum up their screenplay. It's a one-sentence description of their entire story. Sound difficult? It is! Taking your entire nuanced story and boiling it down to one sentence is hard, but necessary. It's how you find the root of the story -- what it's really about, without all the subplots and extra details.

As Albert Einstein said, "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." It also reminds me of a Steven Spielberg quote: "If someone can tell me a movie idea in 25 words, I know it's going to be good." (It really applies to every story, not just a movie.)

A good idea won't be hard to understand. It'll be very clear, concise, and easy to explain to others. Start with a simple logline and expand it from there.

2. It's Familiar
It's true that everything has been done before -- especially in fiction. How many stories have we read about 'The Chosen One'? A good idea follows a similar pattern (like the one Joseph Campbell outlined in 'The Hero With a Thousand Faces'). A hero rises up from nothing, prevails through their conflicts, and becomes the champion by the end of the book.

I don't mean it's a rip-off -- writing something that's clearly stolen from another story will get you in trouble. (Think 'Spaceballs' -- but that was an obvious parody of Star Wars, so it's okay.) But common tropes and familiar backstories resonate with the reader and make them feel at home. If it's familiar and reminiscent of another good story, it should be a good idea. You should read as many novels and watch as many films as you can see to see what people like and what's so compelling about your favorite stories.

Plus, taking old ideas and making them new again is what writing is all about! (And it makes for a good story idea, too.)

3. Be Patient
This is my favorite method of separating the good ideas from the bad. Whenever I get a new idea, I'm OBSESSED with it. It's all I can think about, even if it's terrible. So I set it aside for a few weeks and come back.

If after all that time I still love the idea, it's probably a good one. If I can see all of its flaws, then it isn't. Time away always puts things in perspective. You have to be patient and give good ideas the chance to bloom -- and bad ideas to rear their ugly head.

Sometimes, good story ideas are shy. They're like a skittish deer. Don't scare them away -- give them their space and let them come to you!

4. It Calls Out To You
This is similar to the point above. If after spending time apart, your story idea is crying out to you -- even when you're trying to work on other projects -- it's a sign it's a good idea and you should work on it ASAP. Stories that won't give me a moment's peace always win my attention.

My best ideas are always the ones I have the most information for. My current novel, WANDERSKY, has pages of sub-plots, characters, and possible ideas for the novel. Some of the other novel ideas on my computer have only a few words and concept art.

See what I mean? The best ideas will practically write themselves. Or at the very least, they'll give you more fodder than bad ideas.

5. The Main Character and Main Antagonist Are Interesting
Your main character could be a stereotypical good guy hero -- or maybe they're an anti-hero with an axe to grind. Similarly, your main antagonist could be a naturally psychotic, evil person or someone pushed to the brink after a terrible circumstance.

It doesn't matter. But what does matter is that the main character and antagonist are both interesting. Do they have compelling backstories? Understandable motives? Are their goals exciting and necessary? Will they propel the story forward and keep the readers eager for more?

Your main characters are the soul of your story. Make sure they're strong, motivated, and interesting to you, and then the audience. If they are, a great story idea should be in there somewhere.

6. The Story's Ending Is Climatic and Satisfying
Before I start writing chapter one, I always make sure I know how the story will end. What characters will die, who will succeed and fail, and what the main message of the story is all about. Personally, I believe knowing the ending is a must for any writer. (You can leave the middle of the book open and free, but it should lead to your ending.)

Will the story's ending satisfy you? Will it satisfy the characters and their goals? Is it a big send-off -- something that will shock, wow, and dazzle the audience? I love to brainstorm possible endings and choose the biggest, shiniest one. (If it helps, imagine it on the big screen at the movie theater.)

A good story idea has a strong ending. If you're writing a standalone, this is the last time you'll see these characters. You want their stories to end in a way that completes them and their quest. End on a high note, as they say. If the ending is good, the audience is more likely to forgive a slow story in the beginning.

7. You Get A (Trusted) Opinion
If you're brave enough, share your story idea with a trusted friend or family member -- someone who won't make fun of you if the idea is terrible. An outsider's point of view can help, especially if that person has read a lot of books and watched movies -- or maybe they're a writer, too.

Sharing your story with someone else is important. Books are made to be read, and listening to your audience is always a good idea. Someone else might have more insight and can lead you toward good ideas more often than you can. They aren't clouded by your new idea like you are.

There you have it: seven ways on how you can tell if a story idea is good or not. It's not easy, but the more ideas you have, the faster you learn how to distinguish them.

Personally, I'm grateful for my bad ideas. They shine a light on the good ones. And I'm not saying you can't ever come back to those bad ideas and make them good, but they need a little extra time.

So let them simmer while you're focusing on good ideas. Your subconscious mind will be working on ways to make the other ones better in no time.

I hope this helped! Happy writing and brainstorming!

Sincerely,

Dana



Comments

Popular Posts