Meet my YA sci-fi novel, WANDERSKY!

Hi all! I have some big news to share...

I recently finished my YA horror/thriller novel, WHAT SHE DESIRES. It was my 14th novel overall! Can you believe that?

14 NOVELS. I'm amazed at myself for finding the strength and motivation to finish writing fourteen books. Finishing is the most important part about being a writer, as many people give up long before they ever type 'THE END'.

When I first started writing, I could barely finish a short story -- let alone an 80,000 word novel. It's insane. I'm proud of myself and how far I've come.

I'm taking a few days off to recharge. (My grandma's taking me out to celebrate at a fancy restaurant and then treating me to a trip to the bookstore.) When I come back, I'll start editing WHAT SHE DESIRES and working on my 15th novel...

WANDERSKY!

It's a young adult science fiction/fantasy novel about a city in the clouds. It's similar to Cloud City from The Empire Strikes Back and the planet Ardana featured in 'The Cloud Minders' episode from season three of Star Trek: The Original Series.

(Ha -- get it? ArDANA? Seems like it's fate for me to write this, even if my name's pronounced Day/nah instead.)

I'm overjoyed to get back to my one true love -- fantasy and sci-fi novels. I've spent the last few months writing mystery, horror, and thrillers. Not that I don't love those genres -- or that I'm not proud of those stories -- but fantasy/science fiction has my whole heart. It feels like coming home.

WANDERSKY features a disparity between the rich and poor -- a power struggle over who gets to live in the beautiful sky city. It also has a zombie-like apocalypse, flying drones that act as pets, and a lot of dark secrets and espionage. It takes place in the future on Earth -- about 200 to 300 years from now.

This is my first novel where I'll be writing a dual P.O.V. I have two main characters this time, and they'll both speak in first person.

(The Dragonwitch Chronicles had multiple points of view, but I was writing in third person, so it was a little different.) 

My first main character is Prince Gabriel Roth, a privileged and naive teenage royal. I'll be starting off the book writing as him, and each chapter will go back and forth. He is a skylander -- someone who lives in Wandersky. His father is Emperor Thaddeus, the ruler of Wandersky.

My other main character is Avery Sloane, a landborn -- someone who lives on land, miles and miles below Wandersky. She is a skilled warrior, trained to be a fighter from birth. Her father, Peter Sloane, is the leader of the resistance and a very angry, vengeful man. Thankfully, Avery has a much kinder heart.

They both have many similarities as their people expect the best out of them. Since their fathers are both leaders in their own capacities, they're expected to assume their responsibilities one day and live up to everyone's expectations.

Avery and Prince Gabriel are connected...but they don't know it yet. There's no forbidden romance in this one, but there is a major plot twist!

Wandersky is a beautiful city with futuristic architecture. The inhabitants live on tall, golden spires that are connected by walkways overlooking the clouds. If you don't live up in the clouds...well, let's just say life on Earth's surface isn't easy.

I'll be posting concept art I've found on the Internet to Instagram, so stay tuned for that. I've discovered some really stunning pictures that helped conceptualize my world!

I'm really excited to work on this story. It's been spinning around in my head for a long time, and I think this could be the one to get me a literary agent (if my other novels currently on submission don't.) It just has a good feeling attached to it, you know? Like it's meant to be.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on how it goes. And once I'm finished writing WANDERSKY, I'll be announcing another novel that I've been dying to write, so look out for that one!

I have a million novel ideas, but I have to take them one at a time. I can't get distracted or too ahead of myself! (And yes, it's as overwhelming as it sounds.)

As always, thanks for reading! In the meantime, I'll be keeping my head in the clouds.

Sincerely,

Dana







Comments

Popular Posts