How I Write a Book in a Month

I give myself no more than 30 days to write a novel.

That might seem really fast to some writers, or too much to ask, but I'm a firm believer that you should finish your first draft as quickly as possible.

It's not about getting it right, it's about getting it written...especially with the first draft. It's about getting your ideas on the paper, and letting your imagination take control.

My goal is to write 400 novels in my lifetime, and I plan on writing eleven books this year, with one book per month (and I'm taking one month "off" to write short stories.)

I have a lot of stories inside of me, and I want to share them with the world before my time is up.

Last week, I finished a young adult fantasy novel titled COMING OF AGE. It clocks in at 85k words.
In November 2018, I wrote THE GIFT GIVER, a middle grade mystery novel. It sits at 50k words.
In October 2018, I wrote GENESIS HOTEL, an adult sci-fi novel. It is finished at 86k words.
(September 2018 was a short story month for me.)
In August 2018, I wrote another young adult fantasy novel, the second in my series. It sits at 89k words.

Phew, that's a LOT of words. It might seem overwhelming, but to me, it's pretty normal.

So how do I do it? I'd like to share it with you:

Self-Discipline:

When I was a kid, my mother would make me sit at the dining room table after school until my homework was finished. I couldn't watch television or play video games until it was completely done. While I thought it was unfair as a child, it helped to build self-discipline and control.

Now, as an adult, I can't have leisure time until all of my work is completed. I work hard first, and then play hard later. I turn off my phone, log off of social media, and shut my door to the world while I write.

Dedication:

I commit myself to writing a chapter a day, which usually totals anywhere from 2600 words to 3200 words. It can take me anywhere from two to four hours to write it. I don't do any editing yet - that's what a second draft is about.

Without dedication - and focusing on the bigger picture - I'd be nothing.

Routine:

This is the most important one of all. I get up at 5:50 a.m. every morning, which I then spend reading, taking care of the cats, exercising, eating breakfast, and then writing until the afternoon.

Everything in my life is scheduled and very regimented.

While this routine works for me, it won't work for anyone. You must find a routine that coordinates with your schedule, and one you feel the most comfortable with. Each person is different, and it will take some trial and error.

Positivity:

I've written about the benefits of thinking positively, but I truly believe it can change your life. Take your self-doubt, fear, and inner critic and tell them to SHUT UP. You are capable. You are mighty. You can write a book, no matter what you think.

It's helpful to repeat these affirmations, especially when you stumble. And if you don't finish writing your novel in a month, that's no excuse to be down on yourself, either. What's important is that you're writing - no matter how long it takes you to finish it.

***

I want to reiterate that I WRITE a book in a month, but it's far from finished. I'll usually spend another month or even three editing and polishing it. During that time, I've already started work on another novel, and the cycle begins again.

I'm never bored, that's for sure.

Also, I'm a total workaholic, so that helps.

Also, when I first began writing, it took me a year to write ONE book. I've come a long way. As I mentioned above, it takes time to learn the process. Writing is a skill, and writing a book in a month is a challenge.

But it's one I believe you can do.

Disclaimer: I understand it might be difficult to write a book in a month if you have a full-time day job, kids, a spouse, extracurricular activities, etc. I am lucky enough to make a living from my writing, and I don't have a partner or children. 

However, I still believe it's possible to write a book in 30 days as long as you find what works for you and how you can limit your distractions.

Writing a novel in a month is difficult, that much is true, but I'll let you in on a little secret...

The most difficult things in life are also the most rewarding.

Happy writing, and thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Dana



Comments

Popular Posts