I'm a finalist in the Kevin Smith Scholarship!

Great news!

I'm a top five finalist in the Kevin Smith Scholarship at the Vancouver Film School!

I can't believe I made it this far. I was in shock when I received the call.

I posted about it before, but I applied to the Writing for Television, Film, and Games program at the Vancouver Film School back in October 2018.

I had wanted to apply for years but never had the courage, until something inside of me one day told me to go to the website and learn more.

When I did, I saw that there was a scholarship going on for three programs - the filmmaking one, the acting one, and the writing one. After sending in a few samples of my writing, I sent it off and hoped for the best.

A few months later, I received a call telling me I was a finalist. I had surpassed hundreds of applications, and impressed both the film school and Kevin Smith himself.

(For those of you who don't know who Kevin Smith is, he's a big name in Hollywood. He's a writer, actor, producer, and director. He's best known for portraying Silent Bob, but he's also done a lot of comic book writing, voice over work, and guest appearances. He also partakes in many Q&A sessions which are HILARIOUS. His "Comic Book Men" TV show happens to be my favorite.)

This scholarship would really help. My parents and I don't have a lot of money, and I live in Ottawa which doesn't have many opportunities for film and television writing (like, at all.)

Even if I don't win the full scholarship, I'm so grateful for the experience that I've had. It's a sign that good things are on the way.

I really want to get into writing for film and TV - especially animation - and the Vancouver Film School seems to be my best bet. They've had some pretty famous alumni and great success stories. I know it would be a wonderful experience for me, and I'm prepared to work hard and write every day.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! I promise to keep you all updated.

I'm so excited!


Sincerely,

Dana

Comments

Popular Posts